Men over the age of 50 are still active and in their prime. But to maintain and prevent the onset of illness and ailments, men should consider these tips once they reach this age:
* Go for a physical exam annually. As your body ages, some physical symptoms are also seen. You can discuss these with your doctor. Seek advice on the treatment of minor ailments and steps on the prevention of other diseases such cancer, hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease. Included in the physical examination are routine blood tests, urine and stool tests, and physical tests like treadmill, ECG, and lung x-rays.
* Have your blood examined. For blood tests, you should test for cholesterol levels. This can help you determine if you are eating right and if you have healthy habits. This can help you prevent the onset of hypertension or heart disease. Smokers and diabetics usually have high cholesterol levels.
* Go for rectal and colon exam. Undergoing stool testing, colon testing, and rectal exam annually can be a great help in detecting the growth of polyps or cancer of the colon.
* Regularly visit your dentist. These regular oral examinations can help in the early detection of tooth decay, disease of the gums, or oral cancer. Those with unhealthy habits like smoking, chewing of tobacco, and poor oral hygiene run the risk of many dental problems. Some studies suggest that heart attack and stroke are closely associated with gum disease, so this is a serious matter.
* Have your eyes examined. The annual examination of your eyes is very important as this can detect problems with your vision such as glaucoma or the early onset of cataracts.
* Have your annual prostate examination. Prostate exam is a very important test for men of age 40 and above. This can help in detecting prostate cancer early, which can give you a high percentage of survival.
* Visit a psychotherapist. Not for anything else, men should visit a doctor to screen for depression. Your mental health is as important as your physical health. Talking to a doctor can help you with underlying depression or anxiety.
As with everything else, eating right along with having regular exercises are the most important ways to prevent diseases. Most importantly, these physical examinations and healthy practices can go a long way in early detection and in the higher survival rate against diseases.
Tables on tables on table coral, Tropical Japan
Image by Ippei & Janine Naoi
100 sq km of healthy coral reef called Yabiji Coral Reef around the Miyako Islands, Okinawa, Japan
Yabiji Coral Reef from above:
Miyako Island belongs to the Miyako Island group which is known as one of the world’s best diving destinations, having a number of coral species and marine lives as large as those in the Great Barrier Reef. Over 400 types of corals, 5 types of sea turtles, manta rays, whale sharks and many kinds of tropical fish species all live around the islands of Okinawa Prefecture.
The Miyako Islands are also known for some of the world’s clearest waters with 50-60m visibility.
For our recommended islands of Japan, please check out: